Saturday, July 2, 2011

Thoughts on Music

I've always thought that I had a musical ear. I play an assortment of various instruments rather poorly, since I never took the trouble to practice enough and my ability to read music is very minimal, but I sang well at school and in a few different choirs. Today, my musical ego was taken down quite a few notches.

I spent a few hours reading in a studio where a bunch of good musicians were recording. There were a couple of things that I noticed. The producer's roll is so vital. He could immediately hear not only when a note or chord as missed, but more importantly when an individual piece simply did not fit. I was so impressed. On albums of artists I like, I have noticed differences between production styles, but seeing it in action I realized just how talented someone has to be to do a good job.

Happy holiday weekend, everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment