Sunday, October 9, 2011

Wine Snob: Servia Reviews a Wine from Down Under

Today I have something a little different. I did not get my act together to write a review of the last wine that we opened, so I asked Servia compile her notes and write one. I thought she wrote a lovely review and I posted it:
 
Our weekly tradition, a relaxing Sunday picnic supper and Downton Abbey, now includes a wee bit of wine tasting. Week Two's offering was Australian: a 2004 Yering Station Shiraz-Voignier (5%). Not well-versed in wine attribution, I must say the Australian wines I had encountered previously left me wishing for something less heavy-handed. This wine however, proved a different experience. The color was a soft maroon and it had damp, woodsy aroma. It offered a medium body, with notes of ripe blackberry, wild raspberry and smoky cedar with a touch of pepper near the end and long finish. I favor Shiraz from Washington these days and this Australian cousin seemed to have the Northwest style in mind. We all agreed it was too bold for this particular meal (a rustic spread of fresh sourdough, cheese, and seasonal fruits and vegetables) but I would happily try it again, perhaps decanting it longer.

No comments:

Post a Comment