Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Sourdough Pancakes: with or without baking soda

I took the recipe from King Arthur Flour and modified it. Here is what I did:
Pancakes with Baking Soda
Overnight sponge

  • 1 cups King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
  • 1 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 cups 2% Milk + lemon juice
  • 0.66 cup sourdough starter, straight from the refrigerator (not fed)
  • 1/3 cup of hydrated rolled oats

Waffle or pancake batter

  • all of the overnight sponge
  • 2 large egg whites
  • 1 egg yoke
  • 1/8 cup vegetable oil or melted butter
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • [0.5 tsp baking soda] optional
  • [1 tsp vanilla] optional

The night before eating the pancakes, made the sponge. First distribute the sourdough starter into the milk and then add the flour and sugar. Mix until a batter forms and leave on the counter overnight, covered with plastic wrap or similar. I made the mistake of putting it in the refrigerator, which meant that I ended up having pancakes for lunch instead of breakfast because it was not bubbly and ready.
Sourdough Mixture
The next morning beat the egg whites until stiff and set them aside. Mix together the egg yoke, the vanilla, the salt, and the oil. Then mix it into the sponge. Fold the mixture gently into the egg whites. If lighter pancakes are desired, mix in the baking soda.

The pancakes are pretty tasty. I had them with syrup. About 1/4 of the mixture or less made a full lunch for Servia and I, so this recipe is huge. I saved the rest of it for further experimentation. More thoughts to come.

As a preview, tomorrow I bake these lovely croissants. I think I may have made some serious mistakes, so wish me luck. But they look pretty cute!
Mini Tartine Croissants
More tomorrow...

2 comments:

  1. I wonder if you could freeze them at this point, like the Trader Joe's frozen unbaked croissants, and then bake them anytime after leaving them out overnight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea! Love this. I’m sure this is incredibly delicious!

    ReplyDelete