Saturday, January 23, 2010

Classics Conferences

I was a straight A student in high school. I was essentially the valedictorian, although they did not publish ranks or GPAs so they just called the award something else. I was the captain of the debate team and there were periods where I was ranked as high as 19th in the country on the national debate circuit (I did Lincoln-Douglas) and 5th in California. Although I had friends, I was a prude and a recluse. When I came to college, I broke loose. I got mono my first semester, I was involved in all sorts of drama, I took drugs and drank, I gained a huge amount of weight, and my GPA through the floor. Over the last two years, I have lost 60 lbs, stopped taking drugs, almost entirely stopped drinking (although I'll have a glass of wine with dinner now and again now that I'm 21), my GPA has skyrocketed, and I've boosted my confidence and energy level.

Finally, for the first time since I entered college, I feel I have a decent chance getting papers into classics conferences. I sent in my first abstract on the 21st of January. I sent it into The Atlantic University Undergraduate History and Classics Conference (although I'm out of region). They sent me a very nice and person note back letting me know that if I were accepted I would be allowed to present (and would be the first American to present) so long as I could find transport. It was incredibly flattering. I'm working on sending abstracts into UBC, Cornell, and Willamette (and possibly Bristol) in the next week or so. Wish me good luck!

No comments:

Post a Comment