Friday, October 1, 2010

The Philosophy of an Omelet

I love breakfast food and I will eat it at any time of day. I find it to be friendly, comforting, and energizing. However, a lot of times making hot breakfast food (e.g. omelets, waffles, pancakes, french toast, etc) can be a daunting task first thing in the morning. So for breakfast I usually have some whole-grain toast (with almond butter, brie, or butter) and half a cup of vanilla yogurt to ensure that I have protein and nutrient-rich carbohydrates to start my day. To ensure energy for studying or to replace energy after the gym, I make myself an egg-white omelet or scramble for lunch almost every day.

When I first started eating omelets, I started eating cheesy omelets using whole eggs and cheddar cheese (and nothing else). I ate these for years and they were a heavy and highly caloric. When I changed over to eating egg whites while trying to cut down my daily calorie intake, I found that plain scrambled egg-whites were too bland. So I started to add cheese to it and make egg white omelets and scrambles. They were great. A few weeks later, Cerinthus and I went to the omelet bar that was open some mornings at the school cafeteria. he ordered an omelet with bell peppers and green onions. I took one bite of his omelet and realized how much I liked them. So, I added green onions to my own omelets that I made and home and found them fabulous.

The omelets I make are light and airy. They pack a large protein punch-- about 15g or so per omelet-- but they taste delicate. I hardly ever eat whole eggs anymore because I find them to be heavy, although I understand that there are good nutrients (as well as fat) contained in egg yokes. I am sure that this is not proper foodie style, but I love the balance of tastes between the sharp cheese, the spicy cheese, and the onion that my omelets afford because these flavors are not overpowered by the heaviness of whole eggs. This provides a delicacy that I find lovely and refreshing, especially on a summer day.

My Favorite (low calorie) Omelet
1-2 green onions, chopped finely
0.5 oz jalapeno or habanero jack cheese
0.3 oz sharp cheddar (this ratio can be switched or changed to tast)
3 egg whites
tiny bit of grapeseed oil for the pan

Directions
  1. Put a little grapeseed oil onto a paper towel and wipe it over the inside of a nonstick pan. Heat the pan at medium. Beat or whip egg-whites so they incorporate air and will provide a fluffier omelet.
  2. When the pan is hot enough that the egg white will begin to whiten as it touches the pan, but not so hot that it bubbles or sputters, add in the egg white.
  3. Before the egg white begins to cook, add the green onions in. This was a trick that one of the cooks at my school cafeteria taught me-- this allows the green onions to evenly distribute through the egg white which means they are in every bite and the egg-white has green spots, which looks pretty cool. Stir the egg-white to more evenly distribute the onion.
  4. Use a heat-resistant scraper to loosen the egg-white from the sides in preparation for flipping. When the egg-white begins to bubble, do a final loosening with the scraper. Rock the pan a little to ensure that the egg-white moves as a solid mass. Then flip (good luck)!
  5. After flipping, sprinkle the cheese over the egg-white and let it sit for about 20 seconds. Then fold the egg white over and ensure each side is cooked through.
  6. Serve hot! (and perhaps with toast)

These omelets can also hold a number of other vegetables, depending upon your taste. I find bell peppers, sweet peppers, and broccoli to be best.

No comments:

Post a Comment