Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Is There A Cloaking Device in Our Future?

I was at the gym the other day when I spotted someone who I believe was Bill Nye the Science Guy on the news talking to a reporter and the headline was something like "Invisibility Cloak." I looked it up and it turns out that a scientist named Elena Semouchkina discovered a way of making objects invisible by shielding it from electromagnetic radiation. I found the NSF article here. The particular was that she does this-- which I must admit I do not entirely understand-- involves using glass.

Glass seems to limit the options of this device. However, upon further reading I found another article that talked about potentials of a newly-invented spray-on glass that allows glass coating on pretty much any object. The article makes the connection between the glass used in this object and the incredible versatility of spray glass forming the possibility of the cloak and any number of other things.

No comments:

Post a Comment