Friday, January 25, 2013

Rye Bread

My First Rye
This is probably no secret, but I don't like rye. I never have and, sadly, I probably never will. I always used whole wheat or barley to substitute the rye in recipes.  However, I used rye flour to begin my sourdough starter a long time ago and I decided that I should finish it off. Fortunately, Egnatius came to visit for Christmas and he likes rye, so I decided to make a loaf for him.

The recipe appears here in the comments portion of a post on the Fresh Loaf. I used regular water, whole wheat starter (because I didn't have any rye starter) and dark rye flour. I also cut the recipe in half.

Sadly, I didn't like the rye bread. Egnatius and my father liked it, although they said it had too many caraway seeds (I would suggest 5g or less instead of 10g if you're making a half-recipe). It is supposed to be very good with jam (according to the rest of my family).

I seem to have lost my crumb shot. Sorry about that. The crumb was fairly tight, but moist, toothsome, and creamy. It was a very nice texture.

Anyway, it seems like a very good rye recipe, if you like that sort of thing. It was a fun recipe to make, even if I didn't like it.

No comments:

Post a Comment