Saturday, November 19, 2011

On Nutrinos

About two months ago, I read an article in the New York Times that said scientists believed nutrinos may have surpassed the speed of light. I asked Cerinthus, as he is currently writing his physics thesis, and he remained skeptical. However, it would be pretty cool. So today I read that a second experiment confirmed the original findings. However, the article mentions that theorists are having some trouble figuring out the reason behind this strange experimental data.

Because of this, while I was cleaning my room I listened to the In Our Time podcast on Nutrinos. Although I don't entirely understand, this time (the second time I listed to it) it made more sense.

3 comments:

  1. Me too, often I need to reread or relisten articles to start to grasp logics. I am into particles heaps, it's not my field though, but my interest is rather huge. I am build of them, or a part of the energy, how I look at the science. Are you into hearing about every new finding regarding parallel universe/s and quantum physics? (English is not my first language)

    ReplyDelete
  2. From what I've heard, the initial results could be very well explained by taking into account an error introduced by the use of GPS satellites. And they used GPS in the exact same way in the new experiment, so the fact that they got the same (faster-than-light) result doesn't surprise me. They're planning to do it without GPS eventually, and I'm excited to hear what they get when they do that.

    -Rob F. (I can never remember which profile to use on Blogspot . . . there are so many choices)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Convert-icus: I am not up to date on the parallel universes stuff, but I'm quite interested in many of the new developments in physics-- most of my science reading comes from the science section of the New York Times online. Unfortunately it's not really my field. Luckily, a few of my friends are/were physics majors and they are often helpful for explaining difficult concepts.

    Rob: That's really interesting about the GPS satellites. Thanks for letting me know! I will be interested to see what happens when they do it without GPS.

    ReplyDelete