Sunday, November 7, 2010

A Humanities-Based Discussion of Mathematics

I love math. I realized this when I took geometry and again when I took calculus. After calculus the love never dissipated, even when I decided to go into classics instead of math. Since I have been out of school, I have been looking for interesting lectures and tutorials in math.

Earlier today I happened upon this discussion between Eva Brann, Brian Greene, Mario Livio, Barry Mazur, and Elaine Scarry. It is a lecture called "Mathematics and Beauty" from something called the Philoctetes Organization. I have not listened to it yet (internet problems) but it looks great. I had some trouble getting the video on the Philoctetes site, so I found it on youtube. I seem to be having trouble with my internet so I cannot embed it into the webpage.

No comments:

Post a Comment