Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Chocolate Cake and Cockaleeky Soup

I was watching an episodes of Jeeves and Wooster in which Tuppy Glossop wanted to sell his grandmother's recipe for cockaleeky soup to a soup company. He is convinced that it is the best soup in the world. The soup company begins marketing the soup because it turns out the his favorite soup is not a secret recipe but in pretty much every cookbook.

A similar thing happened with the chocolate cake from my childhood. A lovely woman who worked as a housekeeper and took care of me. Every year for my birthday, she made the most amazing chocolate cake that I thought was the food of the gods. So did all of my friends. Eventually, when I had a chemistry assignment to do a chemical analysis of a food, I asked for the recipe and analyzed the interactions. About two weeks back, I found almost the exact same recipe on One Perfect Bite. Still the best cake in the world, but not a secret recipe. If you ever want to make a chocolate cake, this is the one you should try.

Speaking of things that are not like I remember, I took my first math exam today. Although it was not awful and I certainly understand things in class, it is much more difficult to deal with the exams than I remember. I am rusty even after a few weeks. I thought this class was going to be a cakewalk, but it may be a bit of a challenge. What it really demonstrates is that I need to keep my brain engaged.

No comments:

Post a Comment