Thursday, March 10, 2011

Wine Snob: Pretty Sally 2003

Second time's the charm? Servia ordered this wine from Garagiste about four years ago and it was one of the wines that we brought out at Christmas dinner about three years ago. As I remember the wine was round and smooth, but a bit tasteless. But we opened a bottle a few nights ago to sip while eating some cheese and fresh made bread. What a difference! The early smoothness of the wine was now accompanied by a spicy middle with a tannic bite at the end.

As I have mentioned before, I know very little about wines. Could the wine have matured sufficiently in the bottle in just three years to completely overhaul it's taste? I'm not sure. I guess it's possible that Servia and I and Garagiste all made a mistake and that the wine was Pretty Sally from 2003 and some other year. Or is it possible two bottles from the same batch were so radically different. I am not sure.

The Pretty Sally 2003 Cabernet Sauvignon poured into a glass with a lovely deep red with a purple tinge. The wine was opaque, and it looked lovely and rich. As I mentioned, it was well-balances with a lovely smooth beginning, a spiciness that hit in the middle of the flavor, and mild surge of tannin at the end. Lovely and highly recommended, especially with fresh bread and brie!

No comments:

Post a Comment