Sunday, March 27, 2011

White Whole Wheat

I have never used white whole wheat or even seen the flour in a store. I used to think it was a combination of whole wheat and white flour. This is not true. Rather, there are two types of wheat: red wheat and white wheat. Apparently, the whole wheat I usually get is red whole wheat (good to know) because this whitewhole wheat is a much lighter color. This particular white whole wheat ground incredibly fine so it feels like white flour but it's actually whole wheat. Anyway, I decided now that I have it that I should experiment with the flour and see how it works. I am making three loaves of bread over these three days, so we will see how it goes.
Pate Fermente
I decided to make a 70% White Whole Wheat version of my favorite bread I have ever made: Bread Cetera's Pain de Campagne. I will write up my version of the recipe and post it. I also have found some amazing new tips in Tartine Bread, which I read about half of and highly recommend it.
Tartine Bread
My thing that I learned from Tartine Bread is a way to speed up the rising process without having to turn on my oven (which really screwed-up one of my last loaves of bread). I put the bowl with the rising dough, covered with plastic wrap, in the oven and place a pot of boiling water in the oven next to it. This kept my rising bread warm so it actually rose at a reasonable pace instead of taking forever. I will be using this as a technique and will begin to modify my rising times accordingly. More information and recipes coming soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment