Sunday, March 28, 2010

Round Two with The first was Original 100% Whole Wheat Artisan Bread in Five Minutes a Day

The blog from which I gained this recipe told me to bake half the bread (1), and save half in the refrigerator for use in the next 5-7 days. I made it late Tuesday night and it has been sitting in the refrigerator since then. It rose slightly each day in the refrigerator. When I brought it out again, I shaped it into a long loaf and slashed the top of the loaf.

I let the loaf rise for an hour and a half. It doubled in size. Unfortunately, I do not have my peel yet, but the loaf sat on an oiled pan. I preheated the oven stone to 400 degrees F, and then turned the oven down to 350 degrees F. Then I put the bread in (I couldn't get it off the tray, so unfortunately it had to stay on the tray for the first 5 minutes before I could slide it onto the stone) with a metal pan full of water underneath the stone.

It turned out pretty well, although it still was a bit dense.

The crumb is not perfect. This, I think, comes from inadequate mixing technique.

Still, unlike the last two loaves, it was good enough that I'm pretty sure I will finish the loaf before it goes stale and I have to turn it into croutons. So that says something.

No comments:

Post a Comment