Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Hubert Dryfus and General Updates

One of my favorite things during my senior year at my Alma Mater was a group of students who read Heidegger together that I founded. The group originally gathered around Hubert Dryfus' lectures in his course on the first half of Heidegger's Being and Time that he gave at Berkeley. When I noticed that he was speaking about his new book on the radio (which I found via the internet), I thought I would listen along (you can listen in the embedded version below). His book, written with a Harvard philosophy professor, is called All Things Shining: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age.The book sounds interesting, although I am not sure what I think of the interpretation of the Homeric gods or φυσις. From what I have heard of the interview, it sounds like they are conflating a couple of conceptions. I will have to ask Propertius II.


All Things Shining: Reading the Western Classics to Find Meaning in a Secular Age

Update 02/01/11: Ovid has proposed that we read this together along with our Parmenides reading. This idea intrigues me.

General updates
I have posted some recipe and reading-list updates. These updates will theoretically continue based over the next few days given that there are a lot of recipes from the holidays to add to list. Furthermore, I received (and bought) a number of books over the holidays and I want to add some of them to the list.

No comments:

Post a Comment