Monday, January 31, 2011

Wine Snob: Argentinian Malbec

I spent my last day at my Alma Mater yesterday, and last night Cerinthus and I organized a little get-together. We had a rather strange assortment of food and beverages. The wine that we bought was a Trapiche Oak Cask Malbec (2008) from the Mendoza region of Argentina. When I was at home, I went with some family friends to a restaurant and had a wonderful (much higher shelf) Argentinian Malbec from the Mendoza region (as I remember). So I decided we should try this one.

Like the last Argentinian Malbec I had, this was a thick, heavy wine that was very jammy (i.e. had a full-bodied berry flavor). This one, however, lacked delicacy and sweetness. Its smoothness was disrupted by a little too much tanan and the aftertaste was not smokey as advertised, but charcoal-y like burnt toast. I enjoyed it, but it would have gone much better with food (all I had it with was some bread) and I think it's strong flavor and lack of delicacy was too much for most of the people in the group.

No comments:

Post a Comment