Monday, April 18, 2011

Wine Snob: Zinfandel Port and Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc

I have never liked a dessert wine. They are simply too sweet for me. My uncle and aunt came to town and brought a whole bunch of wine with them. They brought down two dessert wines. I was not particularly keen to try them, but I decided that I would take a taste. They were not bad. The port was very dry (for port). According to my aunt an uncle, there are two possible processes for Port. Generally, port is made by the Solera process, which means that the port is mixed from a series of years so that the average age of the wine slowly increases. For incredibly good years, vintners make what it called a vintage which is the wine of a single year. We had a vintage. I think it was a 1999 vintage, Zinfandel Port, but unfortunately the bottle seems to have disappeared. It might have been Selby winery. Once again, I'm not sure. The port itself was pretty good. It was thick and had a bit of a taste of honeycomb.

The other wine was a Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc.

This Handley Vinyeards 1997 Late Harvest Sauvignon Blanc was a true dessert wine with 15% residual sugars. Very sweet with the color and taste of honey. It went incredibly well with strawberries. I like my strawberries slightly underripe so they were nice and tart and knocked down the sweetness of the wine. I enjoyed both of the wines more than I expected to.

No comments:

Post a Comment